Dargah of Nizamuddin Auliya

 Dargah of Nizamuddin Auliya, Delhi Mosques & Dargahs  Comments Off on Dargah of Nizamuddin Auliya
Nov 022009
 

Dargah of Nizamuddin Auliya in Delhi

Dargah of Nizamuddin Auliya Nizamuddin Dargah enshrines Hazrat Nizamuddin Auliya or Nizam-ud-Din, a revered Sufi saint. During the lifetime of the saint, a settlement developed here, still inhabited and known by the name of Nizamuddin. Hazrat Nizam-ud-Din Auliya Dargah of Delhi also entombs Amir Khusrau, a poet and the saint’s favorite disciple. The Dargah was built by Muhammad Tughluq and consists of one of the most revered pilgrimages of the Muslims. Other tombs enshrined in the Delhi Hazrat Nizamuddin Awliya Dargah are those of Jahan Ara Begum, Shah Jahan’s daughter and Mirza Ghalib, a distinguished poet.

Surrounded by a number of tombs, this Dargah is constructed on top of a tank. There is a legend attached to the Nizamuddin Dargah. It is believed that there was an argument between the rulers of Tughluqabad and the saint over building this tank. The saint, in anger, cursed the rulers that the city of Tughluqabad will never prosper and so did it happen. After its initial construction, the Dargah underwent a number of renovations and reconstructions. The present mausoleum, constructed by Faridu’n Khan, dates back to the year 1562-63. Qawwali singers perform at Hazrat Nizam-ud-Din Auliya Dargah of Delhi around sunset after the evening prayers.

The square chamber of the Dargah is adorned with verandahs and arched gateways. Domed roof of the building has vertical stripes of black marble and is crowned by a lotus cresting. Even the area surrounding the tomb is considered as sacred. Many Muslims, including the royals, have been buried here. The rush for the Dargah is exceptionally heavy during Id and the Urs fair held twice a year. The Urs fair is organized bi-annually n the death anniversaries of Hazrat Nizam-ud-Din Auliya and Amir Khusrau. There are a number of monuments in the Delhi Hazrat Nizamuddin Awliya Dargah including Jama’at-Khana Masjid, Chini Ka Burj (mosque), tombs of Muhammad Shah and Mirza Jahangir, Kali-or-Kalan Masjid, etc.

[booking nummonths=2 startmonth=’2011-03′]

Nov 022009
 

Moth ki Masjid in Delhi

moth_ki_masjidMoth ki Masjid is situated between Uday Park and the plush South Extension Part 2 area of New Delhi. An interesting legend is attached to the origin of the Moth ki Masjid, or the Lentil Mosque, of India. About 500 years old, it was built by Sikander Lodi. According to the legend, one day Sikandar Lodi gave a grain of moth (a type of lentil) to his loyal minister Miyan Bhuwa as a reward for fun. The witty minister planted the seed carefully years after years until it multiplied so many times that it could finally finance the construction of the mosque. He then went to the sovereign to ask his permission to build the mosque.

The king was quite impressed. He then laid the foundation of Moth ki Masjid himself, which was built conforming to the Indo-Islamic style of architecture. The mosque is small and simple and is deprived of any minarets or any profuse calligraphic decorations and embellishments that are part of the traditional mosques. However, it marks the revival of architectural activity during the time of the Lodi dynasty. The square red sandstone structure has a small semicircular dome and latticework screens in its windows.

Moth Ki Masjid has three domes. At the rear end of the roof there are double storied towers with arched openings. The domed octagonal chhatris on the corresponding walls are no less impressive.

However it is the prayer chamber of the mosque which fascinates us most. There are five arched openings and all of them are exquisitely decorated. The mihrab has verses from the Koran inscribed in it.

If you are visiting Delhi and you do not visit the Moth Ki Masjid then you are certainly missing a monument that is emblematic of the remarkable architectural dexterity of the Mughals. A great stride forward was taken by Mughals when they designed this splendid mosque. It is indeed a glorious marvel of this era.

[booking nummonths=2 startmonth=’2011-03′]

Nov 022009
 

Chiragh-i-Delhi Dargah in Delhi

Chiragh-i-Delhi DargahChiragh-i-Dihli’s Dargah in Delhi is a major tourist attraction in the capital city. It is home to the tomb of the famous Sufi saint Nasir-ud-din Mahmud. He earned the epithet ‘Raushan Chiragh-i-Dili’ (illuminated lamp of Delhi). He inherited the legacy of Hazrat Nizamu’d-Din, his master as the head of the Chisti sect. The sacred saint died in 1356. The village of Chiragh Delhi which grew up around the tomb of Nasir-ud-din Mahmud is today an urban settlement. The village was earlier enclosed in a large rubble-built rectangular square built by Muhammad Bin Tughlaq.

The tomb has been refurbished over time. Majlis Khana(assembly hall) and Mahfil khana(symposium hall) are the special features of the shrine complex. Several mosques, including the one built by Farrukhsiyar are enclosed within the complex. The shrine complex also houses several tombs and graves.

Location:

Chiragh-i-Dihli’s Dargah in Delhi is located in the Chirag Delhi Village. On Lal Bahadur Shastri Marg beyond Chiragh main road

Built By:
Muhammad Bin Tughlaq
When was it was built: 1356

Special Feature:

Chiragh-i-Dihli’s Dargah in Delhi has several structures like the assembly hall, symposium hall, graves and tombs, displaying grand architecture

Nearby Tourist Attractions:

Khirki Masjid, Kalkaji Temple, Lotus Temple, Mubarak Shah’s tomb and Nizamuddin’s Shrine

How to Reach:

Tourists can either take local buses from various points within the city to reach Chiragh-i-Dihli’s Dargah is Delhi, or they can hire auto-rickshaws and taxis or even avail of the metro rail.

Nearest International Airport: Indira Gandhi International Airport

Nearest Metro Station: Central Secretariat

Nearest Railway Station: Nizamuddin Railway Station

Open: On all seven days of the week

[booking nummonths=2 startmonth=’2011-03′]

Nov 022009
 

Jama Masjid in Delhi

jama-masjid-delhiThe Jama Masjid, the Friday congregational mosque, in Delhi is the largest and glorious mosque in India. It was the last architectural extravaganza of the Mughal Emperor, Shahjahan built in the year 1656 AD with the help of 5,000 craftsmen. It was made across the road from the Red Fort. The mosque is also known as Masjid-I-Jahanuma, which means ‘mosque commanding view of the world’. The measurement of the mosque is 65 m X 35 m while the courtyard is forms an area of 100 n square. The mosque has the capacity to hold as many as 25,000 devotees. The Lal Qila or the Red Fort stand towards the east of the mosque.

The Jama Masjid was designed as the main mosque of Shahjahan. It stands on one of the two hills, Bho Jhala in the Mughal capital, Shahjahanabad. The mosque has three gateways, four towers and two minarets. It is constructed with alternate use of vertical strips of red sandstone and white marble. The white marble has been used extensively in the three domes and has been inlaid with stripes of black. The structure was situated on a high platform so that its magnificent facade would be visible from all the neighboring areas. The main prayer hall on the west is decorated by a series of high cusped arches, which stand on 260 pillars. These pillars support 15 marble domes at various elevations. The imposing gateways are approached through a broad flight of steps in the north and the south. The hallmarks of this famous mosque are the wide staircases and arched gateways.

The tower is made up of five distinguished storeys, each pronounced by a protruding balcony. Beautiful calligraphy embellishes its adjacent buildings. The first three storeys of the tower are made of red sandstone, the fourth one, while the fifth is again of sandstone.

Jama Masjid Delhi The closet in the North gate of the mosque contains a collection of Muhammad’s relics – the Quran written on deerskin, a red beard-hair of the prophet, his sandals and his footprint, embedded in a marble slab, all of which are still preserved.

The premises of the south minaret are 1076 sq ft wide where the people assemble for the namaaz. The cost for building the mosque was approximately Rupees 10 crores. It was the replica of the Moti Masjid at Red Fort in Agra. It is said that the walls of the mosque were tilted at a certain angle so that at the time of an earthquake, the walls do not collapse in the courtyard but outwards. The Jama Masjid combines the best of he Hindu and Islamic styles of architecture.

The main entrance on the eastern side was probably used by the emperors. It remains close on the weekdays.

[booking nummonths=2 startmonth=’2011-03′]

Nov 022009
 

Gurudwara Rakab Ganj Sahib in Delhi

Gurudwara Rakab Ganj SahibRakab Ganj Sahib is an important historic Gurdwara in Delhi, India. It’s located at the exact spot where Dhan Sri Guru Tegh Bahadur’s headless body was cremated after the Mughal executioner Jalaudin of Samana beheaded the ninth Guru of the Sikhs. Two brave Sikhs of the Guru, Bhai Lakhi Shah Banjara and his son, Bhai Naghaiya rescued the headless body of the revered ninth Sikh Guru from Chandni Chowk, Delhi after the execution of the Guru. Guru ji’s body was rescued by these two with a convoy of several ox-driven carts carrying bales of cotton and foodstuffs. Due to the strong dust storm, these brave Sikhs managed to lift the body of the Guru without the Guards discovering what was going on.

These two Sikhs were able to lift the body with great speed under the cover of the storm and then conceal the body in the cart under bales of cotton. They then quickly moved towards Raisina village, the place where they lived. To avoid any suspicion by the authorities Bhai Lakhi Shah Banjara placed the body on a bed and set fire to his whole house. This place came to be known as Rakab Ganj. This tragedy took place on November 11, 1675 under orders of the Mughal Emperor Aurangzeb. Another devoted Sikh, Bhai Jaita took the Guru ji’s head to Anandpur Sahib, 500Km (300 miles) away from Sis Ganj, Chandni Chowk.

[booking nummonths=2 startmonth=’2011-03′]

Gurudwara Bala Sahib

 Delhi Gurdwaras, Gurudwara Bala Sahib  Comments Off on Gurudwara Bala Sahib
Nov 022009
 

Gurudwara Bala Sahib in Delhi

Gurudwara Bala SahibGurdwara Bala Sahib is one of the most important Sikh shrines in Delhi, next in importance to Gurdwara Sis Ganj and Gurdwara Bangla Sahib. Large number of Sikhs and Hindus visit this holy place daily. This Gurdwara is associated with the eighth Guru Sri Harkrishan Saheb ji and two wives of Guru Gobind Singh namely Mata Sundri ji and Mata Sahib Kaur ji. During his stay in Delhi, Guru Harkrishan Saheb won hearts of a large number of admirers by applying healing touch on ailing bodies. He cured hundreds of people, suffering from acute attack of cholera and smallpox. For Sikhs of Delhi, his very presence amidst them, had a very healthy impact. For them the Guru was the boat of salvation, a ladder to reach one’s ultimate home, a key to open the lock,a unifier of man with God and so on. In fact for Sikhs a Guru is indispensable, yet he is not an end in himself, but only a means for the attainment of salvation. So they were all happy to be in close association of their spiritual preceptor. But their joy was short-lived as he soon, left for his heavenly abode. During his stay in Delhi as guest of Raja Jai Singh,Guru Harkrishan Saheb performed the humane miracle of healing and giving solace to the poor and the sick. In fact the noble deeds of serving the suffering humanity won him more adherents than any other religious leader living in Delhi at that time. Even Muslims respected him greatly for the radiant peace and the hope his serene personality reflected. As if he had taken the burden and sufferings of others on his own shoulders, he himself got a severe attack of smallpox and died on March 30, 1684.

Earlier, he had shifted from the bungalow of Raja Jai Singh to the bank of river Yamuna. He was cremated at the same spot where Gurdwara Bala Sahib has been raised. This shrine is situated on the ring road on the other side of Maharani Bagh Colony. The Gurdwara is no longer on the bank of the river as Yamuna has since changed its course. Gurdwara Bala Sahib is also sacred because Mata Sundri and Mata Sahib Kaur were also cremated there. The samadhi of Mata Sahib Kaur, a small marble room, is in the main hall of the Gurdwara, whereas that of Mata Sundri is outside the new Gurdwara building.

[booking nummonths=2 startmonth=’2011-03′]

Nov 022009
 

Gurdwara Sis Ganj Sahib in Delhi

Gurdwara Sis Ganj SahibGurdwara Sis Ganj Sahib was built to commemorate the martyrdom of Guru Teg Bahadur. It is situated in Chandni Chowk, on the same site where Mughal Emperor Aurangzeb ordered the beheading of Sikh Guru Tegh Bahadur in the year 1675. It is said that when Guru Tegh Bahadur died, no one had the courage to pick up his body. Suddenly, it started raining heavily. Then, two of the brave followers of Guruji took his head and body and fled. The head was taken to Chakk Nanaki in Anandpur Sahib, while the body was taken to the place where Gurdwara Rakab Ganj Sahib now stands.

After almost a century, Baba Baghel Singh, a devotee of Guru Teg Bahadur, discovered the site where Guruji was beheaded. He was the one who built the Sisganj Gurdwara, in New Delhi, there. Even today, the trunk of the banyan tree under which the Guru was martyred can be seen at the Gurudwara. The well where Guruji took his daily bath, while being imprisoned, also stands at the Delhi Sis Ganj Gurdwara. Then, there is the enclosed structure where Guruji was held captive as a prisoner before his beheading. Guru Gobind Singh Sahib also visited this holy place in the year 1702.

Dedicated to      Guru Teg Bahadur

Location     Chandni Chowk, New Delhi

Constructed By     Baba Baghel Singh

[booking nummonths=2 startmonth=’2011-03′]

Nov 022009
 

Gurdwara Shahidi Asthaan Baba Banda Singh Bahadur in Delhi

Gurdwara Shahidi Asthaan Baba BandaGurdwara Shahidi Asthaan Baba Banda Singh Bahadur  is situated near Post Office in Meharauli Area of Delhi near the Qutab Minar. It is a place where Baba Banda Singh Bahadur Ji, his four year old son Ajai Singh along with forty Sikhs were tortured to death by the Mughals.

Mughal Ruler Farrukh Siyar, gave him unusual choice of death or to converts his religion to Islam, but Baba Banda Singh Bahadur chooses death. Farrukh Siyar then ordered Banda Singh to kill his own son Ajai Singh, but Baba Banda Singh Bahadur refuses to do so. Thereafter they butchered the innocent child. His heart was cut out and forced into Banda’s mouth. Banda’s Body was then hung on a Gate where he was skinned alive. Then his body was pierced with red hot rods; finally he dismembered limb by limb. His courage is unique. This Gurudwara marks the site of the martyrdom of Banda Singh Bahadur.

Bahadur was earlier known as Madho Das, had been a yogi, who uses his magical powers to impress people. But when he met Guru Gobind Singh Ji, his life changed, he became great disciple of Guru Ji. Guru Sahib asked him his name, Madhu replied, “I am Banda your slave”. The Guru added the name Bahadur to the name Singh that all members of the Khalsa don after taking Amrit. Thus it was Banda Singh Bahadur who was sent to Punjab to fight to free the people of Punjab, no matter their faith, from foreign rule. Banda Bahadur and his army of Sikhs soon freed many areas of Punjab. Finally, after an exhaustive siege the almost starved Banda Bahadur was defeated and captured in 1715. He and his fellow nearly dead Sikhs were brought to Delhi and, on the orders of Ruler Farrukh Siyar, brutally tortured and killed.

Gurdwara Shahidi Asthaan Baba Banda Singh Bahadur is situated near Post Office in Meharauli Area of Delhi near the Qutab Minar. It is a place where Baba Banda Singh Bahadur Ji, his four year old son Ajai Singh along with forty Sikhs were tortured to death by the Mughals.

Mughal Ruler Farrukh Siyar, gave him unusual choice of death or to converts his religion to Islam, but Baba Banda Singh Bahadur chooses death. Farrukh Siyar then ordered Banda Singh to kill his own son Ajai Singh, but Baba Banda Singh Bahadur refuses to do so. Thereafter they butchered the innocent child. His heart was cut out and forced into Banda’s mouth. Banda’s Body was then hung on a Gate where he was skinned alive. Then his body was pierced with red hot rods; finally he dismembered limb by limb. His courage is unique. This Gurudwara marks the site of the martyrdom of Banda Singh Bahadur.

Bahadur was earlier known as Madho Das, had been a yogi, who uses his magical powers to impress people. But when he met Guru Gobind Singh Ji, his life changed, he became great disciple of Guru Ji. Guru Sahib asked him his name, Madhu replied, “I am Banda your slave”. The Guru added the name Bahadur to the name Singh that all members of the Khalsa don after taking Amrit. Thus it was Banda Singh Bahadur who was sent to Punjab to fight to free the people of Punjab, no matter their faith, from foreign rule. Banda Bahadur and his army of Sikhs soon freed many areas of Punjab. Finally, after an exhaustive siege the almost starved Banda Bahadur was defeated and captured in 1715. He and his fellow nearly dead Sikhs were brought to Delhi and, on the orders of Ruler Farrukh Siyar, brutally tortured and killed.

[booking nummonths=2 startmonth=’2011-03′]

Nov 022009
 

Gurdwara Nanak Piao in Delhi

gurdwara-nanak-piaoGurdwara Nanak Piao is situated on Rana Pratap Road in the Shakti Nagar area of New Delhi. The gurdwara was built to commemorate Sri Nanak Dev, the first Sikh Guru. The site where the Delhi Gurdwara Nanak Piao stands was once a garden where the Guru camped during his visit to Delhi in 1505. The people, who came to visit the Guru during his visit, used to present him and his bard Mardana with numerous gifts, which he distributed among the deprived and poor. Infact, the Gurudwara Nanakpiao, in New Delhi, got its name from the habit of Guruji to offer food and water to the hungry and thirsty people. The well from which Guru Nanak served water to the people is still inside the compound of the Gurudwara.

There is an interesting legend associated with the Gurudwara Nanak Piao. It is said that when Guru Nanak came to Delhi, Sultan Sikander Shah Lodi came to know of his visit. He had heard that Guru had performed the miracle of reviving a dead elephant. So, he asked Guru Nanak Dev to revive the one of his dead royal elephants. However, Guru Nanak refused and as a punishment, the ruler ordered his imprisonment. During the time of his incarceration, Delhi suffered a massive earthquake on July 3, 1505. It was assumed that the ill treatment and captivity of the Guru had caused the calamity. Finally, Sikander Shah Lodi conceded and ordered the release of the Guru Nanak.

Location:  Shakti Nagar, New Delhi

Gurdwara Nanak Piao Tours, Gurdwara Nanak Piao in Delhi, Gurdwara Nanak Piao in New Delhi India

Delhihotelsgroup provides complete information about Gurdwara Nanak Piao is the Mecca for the Sikhs in New Delhi.Gurdwara Nanak Piao is situated on Rana Pratap Road in the Shakti Nagar area of New Delhi.

Gurdwara Nanak Piao Tours, Gurdwara Nanak Piao in Delhi, Gurdwara Nanak Piao in New Delhi India,
Best Gurdwara in Delhi, Delhi Gurdwara, Gurdwara in Delhi, Gurdwara Nanak Piao, Gurdwara Nanak Piao Delhi, Gurdwara Nanak Piao in Delhi, India Gurdwara

[booking nummonths=2 startmonth=’2011-03′]

Nov 022009
 

Gurdwara Motibagh Sahib in Delhi

Gurdwara Motibagh SahibGurdwara Motibagh Sahib is situauted on Ring Road in Delhi city near Dhaula Kuaan. Guru Gobind Singh JI camped here with his army at this place. Earlier it was known as Mochi Bagh and later the name was known as Moti Bagh. It is told that the Guru announced his arrival in delhi by shooting an arrow into the right foot of the Emperor Bahadur Shah’s chair from a distance of eight miles, Bahadur Shah was sitting in Red fort at the time. Seeing an arrow, Bahadur Shah took this as a miracle. Soon another arrow was shoot in the left foot with a note that this was not a miracle but skill in archery. The Emperor was said to be so impressed with the skill that he immediately aknowledged Guru Sahib’s supermacy.

This Gurdwara is situated in Delhi, India on the Ring road between Dhaula Kuan and RK Puram. Guru Gobind Singh ji had halted here and had fired a arrow which hit the wooden leg of the cot on which the Mughal Emperor was resting. He fired another arrow which hit the second leg of the cot to tell that it was by design that he had hit the leg of the cot and not by mistake.

Gurdwara Moti Bagh is associated with the tenth Guru Sri Gobind Singh. He camped here during his first visit to Delhi. He had come to Delhi in response to the request made by Prince Muazzam who sought his help in the battle of succession for the throne of Delhi. This happened in 1707, when the struggle for succession started due to sudden death of Emperor Aurangzeb in Decean. Bhai Nand Lal great scholar and poet of Persian, a devotee of Guruji, requested him to help Prince Muazzam, the eldest son of Aurangzeb.

Guru Gobind Singh already had a good impression about the prince who earned the displeasure of his father by refusing to attack the former at Anandpur Sahib. The prince had been deputed by the Mughal Emperor to surpress the activities of the Guru in Punjab. He had received alarming reports in Deccan from Chiefs of Shivalik Hills against the Guru. But the prince after making impartial inquiry into the false reports sent by the hill chiefs wrote to the Emperor that Guru Gobind Singh was a darvesh (Holyman) and the real trouble makers were the Hill Rajas. Opposition to father’s will had cost the prince imprisonment.

Aurangzeb did not believe in what his son wrote and sent four of his best generals as messengers to find out the truth. These generals also reported that the Guru had done nothing against anyone and he led a saintly life in his city state. They infact also punished some trouble-makers who had been creating problems for the Guru.

In 1704, Anandpur Sahib was again beseiged by the combined troops of hill chiefs and the Mughal contingent when Aurangzeb envisaged to dislodge the Guru from his stronghold on the persuasion of hill rulers and the Mughal Governors. After putting up a tough fight the Guru chose to vacate Anandpur Sahib.

In subsequent battles the Guru suffered heavy losses. But he still had no ill-will against the eldest son of the Mughal Emperor and agreed to help him in the battle of succession. He was such a fine archer that when he shot two arrows from a colony of cobblers in Moti Bagh they hit the ‘Divan’ of the Prince Muazzam (King Bahadurshah). The Guru shot first arrow to announce his arrival in Delhi and the second arrow carried a chit saying, “It is not magic but skill of archery”.

The deohri from where Guru Gobind Singh shot the arrows has been preserved and Guru Granth Sahib has been installed there as a mark of respect to the superb archery of the Guru. Even now from the top of the deohri (gate) one can see the skyline of Delhi and the Red Fort.

The Sikhs of Delhi have constructed a new Gurdwara building. But old building from where the tenth Guru shot two arrows to Red Fort is still intact. The Gurdwara Moti Bagh is situated on the Ring Road between Dhaula Kuan and Shanti Path.

[booking nummonths=2 startmonth=’2011-03′]